A sore throat is a very common issues. However, you do not always need to opt for antibiotics to solve this problem. Most of the time the home remedies can turn out to be quite an effective solution so you should think along the lines of trying them out. Usually, the sore throat issue does get resolved with the help of the natural remedies. However, it is essential to know the cause of the problem as well to resolve it in a better way. This way you can even try out preventive measures to avoid the problem in the first place.
Key Causes of Sore Throat
The main cause of a sore throat is viruses. When you suffer from a sore throat, then you might experience some additional symptoms as well that include a runny nose, watery eyes and sneeze. Sometimes dry air and allergies may also cause a sore throat. Irritants and smoking may also lead to a sore throat.
When you suffer from a viral infection, then the antibiotics are not prescribed in this situation. Usually, doctors encourage the patient to opt for home remedies to get rid of the problem. Moreover, the antibiotics do not prove to be effective in a viral infection.
Remedies for Sore Throat
The following remedies are quite useful in treating a sore throat.
- The traditional and the easiest remedy for a sore throat are salt water gargles. The salt water is quite famous for reducing inflammation, and it also relieves the irritation in the throat. All you need to do is add some salt in a cup of water and gargle two to three times a day.
- If you do not want to try out antibiotics, then the best option for you is to try anti-inflammatory drugs because they are quite useful in reducing the inflammation and help to relieve the pain significantly as well. NSAIDs are a good option in this regard.
- You can try some cough drops too. The advantage of the cough drops is that they are quite useful in keeping the throat moist, and this can help to prevent further irritation of the throat. You can even try over the counter sprays to get rid of the discomfort caused by a sore throat.
- It is very important to drink a lot of water when you are suffering from a sore throat. The reason is that staying hydrated is important during this time. You want your mucous membrane to remain moist, and you do want allergens to irritate your throat further so make sure that you do take care of your water intake.
- The easiest remedy for a sore throat is a cup of. The black tea and green tea both contain antioxidants that can be quite useful in fighting a bad throat infection so you should not miss out on your cup of tea. The best thing to do will be to add honey to your cup of tea for best results. Honey is really good for a sore throat.
- Try making chicken soup when you have a sore throat. Soup has sodium in it, and it has got anti-inflammatory properties that can be useful for a sore throat. It might be a bit hard to eat soup when your throat is swollen, but remember that the nutrients in the soup will help you get better.
- Marshmallow tea has been quite popular for treating colds so what you can do is try out Marshmallow. It may prove to be way too helpful in easing down a sore throat so you should make it a point to try it out as well.
- What your body needs the most when you have a sore throat is rest. The reason is that your body needs strength to fight the infection so make sure that you get ample rest when you have an infection.
- Ginger tea can also be quite useful when you have a sore throat. It can help a lot when you have to ease down the inflammation in your throat. Make it a point to have at least 3 cups of ginger tea a day and you will see that your sore throat will get better in no time.
- Steam can be yet another great natural remedy for a sore throat. Make it a point to drape a towel over your head and you need to inhale the steam. It will be great if you will add some drops of eucalyptus oil in the bowl having the hot water. Inhale the steam that comes from the water and this remedy truly works when people have a severe throat infection. You will feel significant relief in the first attempt so make sure that you do try this remedy out if you wish to get the best results.
When to Take Antibiotics?
Remember that antibiotics should be your last resort. If you feel that home remedies are not helping your sore throat, then you should think about resorting to antibiotics. Do remember that antibiotics do have their own side effects so it will not be a smart idea to opt for them. When people tend to take antibiotics too quickly, then their body resistance becomes weak, and it becomes harder to fight the viruses. Thus, it is better to stick to the natural remedies as long as possible to fight the throat infection, and you will see great results.
You should try out these home remedies the minute you feel the onset of a throat infection and this way your symptoms will not get severe, and you will be able to fight the symptoms in a much better way. However, if you feel that your symptoms are not improving then make sure that you do consult your physician, and he will offer you all the help you need. Home remedies are effective in most cases so they will work out for you as well if you make it a point to try them out.