There are times when you develop a bad habit, and it becomes a problem to quit the habit. Well, it is not going to be the case anymore if you put to get rid of your bad habits. The problem with some people is that they drink excess alcohol and, as a result, they suffer from a hangover afterwards. If you have been suffering from this problem for quite some time and need a solution then now is the time. We will be looking into all the possible remedies that can help you get rid of a hangover fast so try them out, but before that we will look into the causes of a hangover.
The following are the key causes of a hangover.
- When people drink a lot of alcohol, this tends to cause frequent urination. This can eventually lead to dehydration. When a person suffers from dehydration, then he may get this feeling of lightheadedness or thirst.
- Your immune system may give an inflammatory response to excessive alcohol drinking. This may affect memory, appetite and concentration.
- When you drink too much alcohol, it irritates your stomach and increases the production of acids, and this slows down the rate at which the stomach empties itself. Thus, this may cause nausea, and this can be a contributing factor to a hangover.
- Sometimes your blood sugar may drop down when you have consumed too much alcohol. People experience weakness and general tiredness in this situation.
- The excess alcohol consumption can even cause the blood vessels to dilate, and this leads to headaches and hangovers.
- The quality of sleep is badly affected because of excess alcohol consumption. This is one of the prime causes of a hangover.
- Congeners are present in alcohol. They are added for aroma and taste. However, they do tend to cause hangovers.
Symptoms of Hangover
The following are the key symptoms of a hangover.
- You may experience a fast heartbeat along with the feeling of being anxious.
- Muscle aches and dizziness are a common symptom of a hangover.
- People who are suffering from a hangover feel lethargic and may have a feeling of nausea.
- Hangover symptoms also include thirst and mood swings.
- If you have excessive drunk alcohol, you might feel irritated as well.
Remedies for Hangover
Now that we have looked into the causes and symptoms of hangover it is time to have a look at the remedies that can help to fight a hangover.
- The best remedy is to avoid drinking alcohol in the first place. You have got many better options. You can try replacing alcohol with juices or water.
- It is very important to have a light breakfast and stay hydrated. Drinking water may prove to be quite helpful in fighting this agonizing situation.
- People do try out Alka Seltzer. It is a fizzy medicine that tends to help with the hangover. It contains sodium bicarbonate that can prove to be quite helpful in neutralizing the acid that is present in the stomach.
- Your body loses a lot of useful nutrients when you drink so it is always better to take multi-vitamins to get those nutrients back.
- Try out a small amount of coffee in the morning and wait for 30 to 60 minutes to see if it makes you feel better.
- If you are suffering from chronic headaches due to your hangover, then the best remedy is to take pain killers. They may help you to fight the pain and lessen your misery. However, make sure that you do not opt for very strong pain killers. It is better to stick to the mild ones.
- You need to give your body adequate rest so that the body can recover. The body has the best ability to recover on its own if you give it a few hours of rest.
Fighting the Hangover – The Mind Game
The approach that is about to be presented may help with a mild hangover. Sometimes you need to divert your attention. For example, if you are just feeling lethargic and do not have other severe symptoms, then you can just sit back and watch your favorite TV show and place a jug of water on your side. This way you will not have to miss out on your entire day and fight hangover successfully.
Some people make the mistake that when they are suffering from a hangover they try to indulge in daily activities then. Well, that is not possible, and this makes things worst. Take the medicine if you feel the need and have breakfast and then try to get on with your day. This approach will prove to be much better rather than just looking for quick solutions.
When to Talk To Your Physician
Sometimes the hangover is so severe that the home remedies do not help. This is the time when you should consider talking to your physician. If you feel things are not getting any better visit the physician right away. You will have to be specific about the details of the amount of alcohol you consumed.
This way the physician can guide you correctly and help you out in overcoming the problem in no time. Sometimes the hangover is so severe that it leads to severe health issues so you will need the help of an expert physician in this situation.
The best thing to do is to get control over your habit of drinking alcohol a lot if you are prone to a hangover. Make use of your willpower to fight this bad habit and you will see that it will prove to be an effective move. This way you can avoid wasting your time and get rid of that frustration that comes along due to excessive drinking.
The hangover is now very much within your control if you become cautious in the first place. This way you will get rid of a hangover forever.